The stone Fort Conde, originally built by the French in 1723, protected the city until 1820. The fort had three names; however, occupied by four different countries. The fort’s names were:
- Fort Conde – built and occupied by French troops 1723-1763
- Fort Charlotte – occupied by British troops 1763-1780
- Fort Carlota - occupied by Spanish troops 1780-1813
- Fort Charlotte (again) – occupied by United States 1813-1820 (abandoned)
The Renaissance Hotel built in 1986 and open today.
More information about Fort Conde.